Labels

Kiara Tatum (19) Strength (16) hope (12) pick-me-ups (11) coping with chronic illness (8) down days (8) Generation Hope in action (7) Hannah Lahmeyer (7) PH journey (7) friendships (7) PH (6) PH awareness (6) active (6) Activism (5) Conference (5) Kevin Paskawych (5) activities (5) anger (5) bloggers (4) guest blogger (4) reflection (4) Love (3) PHA Programs (3) Pulmonary Hypertension (3) Sean Wyman (3) Sylvia (3) advice (3) advisory board (3) coping (3) coping strategies (3) death (3) fighting PH (3) friends (3) journey (3) long-term survivor (3) meet up (3) phriends (3) After Dark (2) Brittany Riggins (2) Chronic Illness (2) Colleen Brunetti (2) Diagnosis (2) Katie Tobias (2) Melanie Kozak (2) Michelle Joy Guerrero (2) New Year's resolutions (2) PH at Work (2) PHA mentors (2) Valentine's Day (2) accommodation office (2) college (2) college experience (2) dating (2) depression (2) disabled student rights (2) film (2) healthy lifestyle (2) inspirational (2) medical (2) nutrition (2) plans (2) positive effects (2) spring (2) support group (2) 10 years (1) Becca Atherton (1) Complain (1) Corin Hughs (1) Grandmother (1) Haley Ann Lynn (1) Hero (1) Heroes (1) I.V. (1) Imani Marks (1) Insurance (1) Jeannette Morrill (1) Jen Cueva (1) Kia Thompson-Allen (1) Kiara (1) Kimberly Smith (1) Kristine Green (1) Leigh McGowan (1) Marietta (1) Marissa Barnes (1) May (1) Mayhood (1) Melanie (1) National Girlfriends Day (1) Normal (1) Ohio (1) PAH (1) PHA on the Road (1) Rare Disease Day (1) Rheumatoid (1) Shawna Jenkins (1) Social Security Disability and work (1) Suzanne Kenner (1) Vacation (1) Work and PH (1) achieve (1) art (1) author (1) balance school and PH (1) book (1) breathe (1) caregiving (1) change (1) crafting (1) diet (1) disability law handbook (1) disability office (1) dreams (1) education (1) election (1) emergency on campus (1) exercise (1) explaining PH to children (1) family (1) family options (1) fear (1) food (1) friendship (1) fun (1) fundraising (1) generation hope after dark (1) good health (1) guideline (1) guidelines (1) healthy eating (1) heart month (1) in spite of PH (1) kangaroo (1) letting go (1) life (1) moving forward (1) music (1) new normal (1) not to say (1) offended (1) peers (1) photography (1) phriend (1) positive thinking (1) relationships (1) school and PH (1) summer (1) sun (1) support (1) to say (1) understand (1) understanding (1) volunteer (1) working with PH (1)

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Twenty Years with PH: A Reflection


Hannah with her daughter at a lighthouse in South Florida.
Hannah Lahmeyer wrote the following on February 12, 2013.

I can barely believe I’m saying this, but today I celebrate 20 years of life with Pulmonary Hypertension.  I was only five years old when I was diagnosed so I barely remember it.  Honestly what I remember most from that year of my life is overprotective adults constantly asking me if I was feeling okay.  I also had a surprise birthday party that I remember well.  Later I found out that it was such a big party because the odds were it would be my last.  A year later I was put on life saving intravenous medication that would be attached to me for 10 years.  Such treatment did come with hospitalizations due to infections and emergency room visits to repair holes in the central line.  It was worth it though.  Not just because I am alive today, but because of all I learned along the way. 

Today I am no longer on the intravenous medication.  Scientists invented a way to inhale that medicine.  I do it four times a day.  While it seems cumbersome, it is far less dangerous and complicated than my previous way of receiving it.  Life is good.  I am now a college graduate, married and the mother of a 3 year old.  All life milestones that appeared impossible 20 years ago.

My story has been told in newsletters, news broadcasts, online and in speeches.  I’ve told it to classmates, and my mother told it to doctors.  It really is a miracle, but after hearing it so much I forget how miraculous it is.  An educated medical professional estimated my life would end in two years and instead it is still continuing 20 years later.  This is indeed a miracle!  What makes it so much more miraculous is along the way I have seen many face death because of Pulmonary Hypertension, but I have been spared.

I do not have guilt because I’m alive and others are not.  I have sadness because I miss them and I know their families do too.  I have joy because I see the way that the relatives and friends devote their lives to make the lives of people with PH better.  My mother has heroically volunteered at the Pulmonary Hypertension Association since I was in grade school. 

It really is a brutal disease.  So complex that no one knows why some patients get PH.  So complex that the patient is often the one educating the nurses, doctor and residents before their hospitalization is over.  Patients have a much better prognosis when they are diagnosed today than when I was diagnosed.  It is promising, but I still need a medication that is more consistently administered and with milder side effects.

I don’t know if 20 years from now I will be celebrating my 40th anniversary with this disease.  I don’t know if a few years from now my health will downward spiral and I will be in heaven, and my body will be no more.  That is the beautiful part of having a life threatening and unpredictable disease.  Everyday means so much more.  I think I have accomplished more meaningful things in my 25 years on earth than I would have if I were never given this diagnosis.  There are few things in this world that are worth more than knowing how short life really is.

It is a two-part equation.  First is learning that you are really not as untouchable as you think you are.  You are not capable of making your own heartbeat and not capable of making yourself breathe.  At any moment it could all be over for any of us, or all of us.  That is what 20 years with PH has taught me.  The second part is now that you know this, what does it matter to you?  For me it matters because I know that life goes on after death.  My theology is that you go to heaven or hell.  

A diagnosis with Pulmonary Hypertension changes everything about the person you thought you were.  The disease does not define patients; we are just limited by it.  Our calendar is filled with doctor appointments, our cell phone bill is stacked with calls to the insurance company and our bodies take longer to fight off the typical cold.  Denial does not take away the disease.  This past 20 years has been an uphill battle, and I know it will always be that way.  That is fine though because when I look back on the 20 years, my character has been defined and redefined by these struggles.  I am grateful for these past twenty years.  Today is an anniversary that I celebrate!

Hold fast, a cure is on the way!

P.S.  This month my sister's women's soccer team is honoring me in the Commodores Compete for a Cause that is being held at Vanderbilt University.  It is a competition between the sports teams to see who can raise the most money.  The money raised by her team will be donated to the Pulmonary Hypertension Association.  Click here to learn more and donate: Women's Soccer Commodores Compete for a Cause - Razoo

7 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you, Hannah! Twenty years is a great thing when living with this disease! I've celebrated 37 years so far, and I have every hope that I will make it to my 40th birthday and beyond!! I believe you will, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your thoughts and congrats on 20 years. I really appreciated hearing some of my own thoughts on all this although I was diagnosed only a year and a half ago. Encouraging to think that, God willing, I have many more years despite the drama of this disease. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm celebrating seven years this month, and I hope to be celebrating my 20th year fighting PH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary Hannah & Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have just celebrated my 4th year on March 13th, & hope to celebrate my 20th year as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed in 1991. I don't know the exact day because it took them (Doctors) about 8 months to diagnose it as Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. I was put on Flolan in 2001. I had a Double lung transplant April 11 2012. I no longer have PPH. It's pretty awesome to be able to say "I overcame PPH." 21 Years of living day to day. It's been a blessing. Life is still one day at a time, and today is the first day of the rest of my life. Keep Smiling. Next month I will be celebrating my 1 year anniversary without PH. Or as I like to say my Lungaversary. Looking back I realize that having a positive mental well-being can really help you when not being able to breathe or do the things you want to do but can't due to the limitations of oxygen. I could go on and on but from your blog I know you get it. Stay positive others will learn from your battles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this! I have grown up with a VSD and PH, it wasn't congenital but I had the symptoms quite early in life, around the age of 4-5. I wasn't diagnosed until the age of 8-9, thanks to the amount of ignorance in my country, India, especially at that time. Anyway, I turn 22 next month and it's been a great ride so far. I have been extremely lucky to have the best doctors and medications and such amazing friends and family. I don't think my life has been any different to that of someone without PH, and I have so much to be grateful about than complain about what I don't have. Of course, I do wish I could run and learn professional dance sometimes, but it's okay, life has so much to offer and when you know the value of each day, the journey of life becomes that much more interesting.

    I really thought I was alone, that no one else must have been through what I have, but this website has really opened my eyes and motivated me! A cure is definitely in the works and it's so good to see so many other brave warriors, all around the world, facing PH head-on.

    -Roshni (Mumbai, India)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pleasure and I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete